Costs To Replace Your Roof
How Much Does It Cost To Replace Your Roof in Queensland?
Did you know that homeowners in Brisbane can expect to pay between $4,000 and $14,000 for a brand new roof (depending on size)? Or that a tiled roof will set you back more than a metal one? If you’ve ever wondered how much it costs to replace your roof (in Queensland), you’ve come the right place. By the end of this article, you’re going to find out about the real costs behind roof replacement.
The cost of roof restoration in Queensland will depend on various factors, but one of the most important is the size of the roof. Roof replacement contractors will often charge based on square metre, with a larger roof usually costing more. When enlisting the services of a professional, they will measure the roof and provide you with a quote. It is important that you get good value for money, so try and obtain several different quotes before you opt for a particular service. Expect to pay $28 to $38 per square metre if a contractor is taking into consideration the size of your home.
HOURS OF LABOUR
As well as square footage, the price of your new roof will depend on the number of labour hours that are spent working on the project. Replacements will vary, and might cost more if you are paying an hourly rate. A larger roof might cost you more in the long run, especially as several professionals will need to work on the project, and more materials will need to be sourced. In order to get the cheapest prices, contact the company directly and ask for a full and final quote before you agree to their service and find out if there are any hidden costs. It might work out cheaper if you enlist the services of a professional in the regular working day, instead of at the weekend or during the evening, although this will depend on your work and family commitments. Prices might also increase if expensive materials will need to be sourced in order for the project to begin, or if staff are unable to reach parts of the roof when replacing the item.
You might want to replace your roof after adverse weather, which might have caused damage to the structure. You can expect to pay more in this instance, especially if the weather has affected several homes in the area, and roofing services are now in high demand. Try and book ahead as quickly as you can, especially as it will be harder to find a roofer as time progresses, further pushing up the cost. You will need to act quickly, especially as a broken roof can be a safety risk to you and your family. Leaving the problem might only cause it to get worse, and you could pay more in the long run.
TEAR-OFF OR LAY OVER?
There are two main approaches to replacing a roof. The first, called “lay over”, is when a professional will lay new roofing over any existing materials already in place – a method which could cost you less. This is beneficial for people who are looking to save money, especially if they want to install metal sheets. However, doing so can sometimes void the warranty on the roof and cause further problems, especially if there isn’t enough ventilation. The second approach is called “tear-off”, and costs a lot more, but is certainly more exhaustive. This involves a professional tearing off the existing materials and starting afresh, essentially laying down a brand new roof from scratch. You will need to choose a good contractor in both instances if you want to receive a good return on your investment. An inadequate or rushed job will only mean you have to pay out again in the near future. When looking for a roofing company, choose a service where a contractor comes to your property, assesses the state of your current roof, and provides you with honest advice about the best course of action to take in your circumstances. You should be able to find out more about different materials and roofing techniques without being given the hard sell.
The type of material you opt for will also influence the overall price of the roof. Metal and tile roofing are both highly sought-after in Queensland but are available at different price points.
- Metal roofs: these are among the most popular in Queensland and provide you with good insulation. Prices cost around $4.50 for every square foot.
- Tile roofs: much more expensive than metal roofing, and costs will vary depending on the experience of the contractor, the cost of buying tiles, and the design of your home. It’s a good idea to shop around for tile roofing, as this can vary considerably.
Here are a few money-saving tips when replacing a roof in Queensland.
- Using a price comparison website is a good place to start when looking for roofers in Queensland. These websites will enable you to find the cheapest prices in the area, and will save you having to spend hours looking for the best roof services online. You will be able to compare and contrast various services based on criteria such as price and customer service. Once you have a list of two or three companies that you are interested in, contact them directly for a quote.
- Third-party review websites will provide you with more information about whether a roofing service was worth the money. These websites contain reviews submitted by individuals who have used a particular service in the past, providing you with all the information you need when choosing a cheap roofer in Queensland.
- You might find that the cost of roof replacement will work out cheaper in the off-season, especially in the summer months. In the winter and in the run up to Christmas, roof replacement might be highly sought-after, so it’s always a good idea to wait until it’s less busy before you approach a roofing company.
When it comes to roofing costs in Brisbane and Queensland, it’s almost like asking “how long is a piece of string?”. There is no definitive answer, and prices will vary depending on the material you choose, the company you opt for, the size of your roof, the hours of labour spent on the project, the time of year, and the design of your home. One thing is clear: it’s important to shop around to get the best prices, and always obtain a full and final quote before you decide to go with a company.
Published by Masterbuild Roofing Brisbane – www.reroofingbrisbaneqld.com.au